Hundreds of workers from a footwear factory in Vietnam have been hospitalised after showing symptoms of food poisoning, an employee of the firm and state media said.
A staff member from the Taiwanese-owned VMC Hoang Gia factory in southern Vietnam said “several hundred” had been hospitalised, but the state-run Tuoi Tre newspaper said the number was “almost 1,000”.
“Most of them became dizzy and several others suffered from stomach ache and headache after having dinner of rice with tofu, cabbage and fish on Monday,” in the factory canteen, the staff member said.
Many workers had been discharged but others were still in local hospitals for treatment, the staff member said, asking not to be named.
Provincial health officials in Tay Ninh, where the factory is located, are investigating the case, the employee added.
Food poisoning outbreaks, especially in factory canteens, have become more common in Vietnam with bad hygiene often blamed as the key culprit.